Monday, May 14, 2007

A response to a nice post

I went to MSTP Bound's blog and read his post about his favorite professor and how his professor made a profound impact on him. I was gonna casually leave a comment and it turned out to be quite long. Long enough to be my own update haha. So here you have it. I think it is important that teachers know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it. And I thank the teachers who made important impact on me. For that I am better and stronger. For that I should be a person who does good things the right way, my way, the uncompromising way. For people who read my blogs before, I have written about this teacher of mine several times around, and MSTP Bound's post just touched that special area in my heart and it really resonated. So here is my response.



This is really one of the best posts i have read in bunch blogs around for a while. It is sincere and I think it is very very important to let people know that the world's future is really on our generation's shoulder. Yes it sounds cheesy and stupid and so self obsessed. But if you really think about it, the world has never faced so many chaos before. The epidemic of AIDS, new forms of cancer, the possibility of human engineering, nuclear proliferation, global terrorists, and the most deadly one, the Global Warming issue that could peace all us out.

I am listing all this not because that I think we can fix them all in our generation. But I think our generation is the first generation to receive this kind of challenge. We cannot keep doing what our generation has been doing -- being apathetic about everything and anything. In order to make the change, I think it is the responsibility of the educators of our generation. I wrote about this professor that I had this semester. He was a Harvard graduate and also Phd. [In] The last class, the [professor] didn't teach. He told us three things that he wanted us to do when we walk out the classroom.

1. Life isn't fair; it could get really hard, but just HANG ON there, opportunity will manifest itself. remember to just HANG ON. He didn't want his students to be quitters. FYI, he was a high school dropout and black if that says anything about HANGING ON.

2. Do everything with excellency. For our own sake, do not waste resources and time. Do the best you can do at everything, even you do not succeed, at least you will not have regrets.

3. Remember to GIVE BACK. He said that he definitely could make much more than he could at USC. (I will give it a wild guess, I am thinking about quarter million a year salary wise, since it was our 1 million/professor campaign). He said that he really didn't think money was the solution. He was given an opportunity to change his entire life that he should do the same. He just wanted us to be good people, and when we conquer the world, remember the less fortunate and privileged and GIVE BACK. The society really needs that and it can only get better when the rich and [the] power[ful] have ethics and are willing to take the social responsibilities.

I can say that people who had ambition and had a good heart were all sincerely touched and ready to take actions. At graduation, we all toasted to the professor and we genuinely thank[ed] him for awaking the better part of us within.

Also, thanks for the comment, it was my first time reading your blog last night, and I spent lots time here. Rare to see Asian bloggers. I am also Asian, 6'1'', 170 lbs. Now I feel like i am on Craigslist hehe. Wrote this just very fast, and I don't want to go back and prove read it, so please excuse all the grammar and typos. :p

UPDATE: I just found this blog, Copyranter, it is absolutely hilarious! I love it, check it out.

2 comments:

jay said...

Oh wow. Such a touching entry. He sounds like a great professor. I've had a few great professors as well during both grad and undergrad and whilst most of them could indeed be someplace else doing something more profitable, I'm glad they took the time to pass their knowledge and insight onto me to encourage critical thinking of my own.

mstpbound said...

haha re: craigslist stats. :P :P but whoa. a 6'1'' asian. that's crazy! :)