Sunday, May 20, 2007

Animal

I promise you, this post is about animals. If you keep reading, you would think it is about philosophy but if you keep reading you will realize that you are wrong because my mind wanders around and if you continue the reading you would agree, it is about animals. Or maybe not, I don't know.

I will have to start it with a story about my sandals. Well, I bought a new pair of sandals! Rainbow brand. $45. They are kinda hard and at least for now they don't feel like they are worth 45 dollars. The girl at the counter swears that these are the best pair once I break in after a week or two. My friend also promises me that these would be the best pair of sandals I could get. We will see about that. This pair isn't horrible, it is just that the edge and sole are still kinda rigid. But the sole remains very dry. They don't make me sweat like my last pair did.

Well talking about my last pair of sandals... they've been with me for about 5 years. I could recall a lot of my past just by looking at them. I could recall the friends that I had, the friends I gave up on. I could still remember how the beach felt like years ago. I could still "gasp" conjure up the smell "gasp" of them. Don't tell me you never smell your own shoes.

As a matter of fact, I think despite the fact that human being has evolved so much, we still can't lose our animal traits. You know, like the casual sexual encounters, the competitiveness, and cruelty. What make us human, not just mere a breed of animals, is our sense of ethic and law. Our constant pursuit of justice which doesn't happen to other animals. I guess that is why people would use the word barbaric to describe something that is so inhumane.

Anyways, I am not writing this to discuss philosophy. Oh no. I don't think I am all that pretentious.

What I want to tell you is some of my observation and one gross story.

Let me start the story first. It is about my own sandals.

Once upon a time, I was a dedicated yogaer. Is yogaer a word? well I did yoga regularly for 3 months. I really liked it and it cured my lower back pain. Also I think yoga is kinda sexual. You know, people are in skimpy little shorts, sweating through them, guys' packages would be dangling inside those skimpy sweaty shorts. I bet half of the yoga guys were gay at Westwood near UCLA. There was one guy who had long dirty blond hair and an entire tree with red flowers tattooed on his back. It was very exotic, plus the glimmering sweat. hm....

Ok where was I going with this lol...

Well the smell. I think the smell was very raw. Especially when your previous yoga class finished their session. I would often walk in and have a head-on clash with the raw human wet sweaty smell. It is healthy in a sick way. It was great.

Also, I forgot to mention that I am a bit of a scandalmaniac. I think guys with sandals are hot and I think it is very exotic in a way. Well everyone wore sandals to their yoga work and bare feet in the yoga room. So the whole experience had always been some kind of exotic twilight zone kick to it. Exotic because of my special "taste" for sandals and feet. It is not "fetish" but it is the first thing that comes to mind. Twilight zone is because every time I did yoga, I felt like fainting. It was pretty fucking hard!....

Anyways, the special smell was like a drug to me. Even back then I thought to myself, human does retain a lot of raw animal like behaviors such as smelling things, getting aroused, attracted or disgusted by smelling. For example, straight guys find woman juice incredibly hot and enticing where when I am at it I think the smell and taste of cum are the best thing on earth but as soon as I get off I think they are gross. That is very animal like I think. I talked about this with a friend who lives in NY and he exclaimed "OMG I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY WEIRD ONE."

Anyways, what I am trying to say, is hat there is no shame of smelling things! We are after all animals. Animals who happen to learn faster than other animals. So one day, after my yoga class I came out feeling like from outer space, walked to the shoe shelves and picked up my sandals. As soon as I put my feet in, I knew it wasn't mine. It was a pair that was exactly like mine, same brand, same color, and same kinda worn out. The difference was the foot print that permanently imprinted in the soles of the sandals. To confirm my suspicion, I picked them up and smelled the sandals. Yeap, it wasn't mine for sure! However, I didn't get grossed out or anything. I put them on and wore them for another 2 years and half. In the beginning it was weird. It was also kinda exotic. Because these pair of sandals which were so close to someone who apparently worn them all the time, now belonged to me. It was like some weird cosmo destiny that were meant to be. I felt as if I could have some affect on his life experiences or positive energy. Yeah, I know it sounds kinda crazy now but it was only natural to think about it like that back then.

I wonder how my original sandals finished its destiny. That dude probably didn't wear mine as long as I wore his. It is like two shellfish who accidentally switched shell and kept on moving with part of the other shellfish's identity. I hope I am not the only one thinking about this incident like this. Otherwise I would seek out psychiatrist... maybe lol~~

So lately, I realized that I wasn't the only one who fully utilized the ability of our nose. My friend DODO smells EVERYTHING. Especially when it comes to food. She would determine if they are still good to eat, if they are still fresh, if they may taste good. She would also smell her in door trash can to see if they need to go. Dishes, utensils, makeup... I mean she wouldn't smell them as if it is her obsession. Usually, it is just a quick sniff, but I think that is so like animal like. And I love it!

Anyways, I could derive some "deep" philosophic shit out of this but that would be utterly superficial and pretentious. But I say this much, I love animals, they are the best, people are tiring sometimes.

Here I present you my new obsession, Modest Mouse. This single is Dashboard! I fucking LOVE IT! The best way to enjoy this song is to drive your car on the highway at a least 85 mph speed and blast the song! yes it is quite good.

3 comments:

mstpbound said...

you STOLE somebody else's sandals! thief! :P :P haha, now I feel weird because I am not a big smeller. I don't like extremely pungent smells. What I DO like is the smell of a man right after he gets out of the shower. You can still smell the soap, but then yo u can still smell something that's...him, and MALE. u know? :)

Jeff said...

mmm soapy boyfriends are the best!

about a boy said...

i love the raw human sweat smell.

not 10 day body funk but the smell of a man sweating is enough to give me the vapors.