Tuesday, July 10, 2007

More interviews

Well I did two today. All I can say is that what a big contrast.

The first one was in the morning at 10:00am. I was LATE. I thought I was gonna die. I mean who goes to an interview late? The stupid 710 where it intersects 10 west bound had an accident which was so severe that the entire entrance was blocked by police. So can you even imagine how bad the 10 would be? Yeah, it was I-stuck-in-2-miles-distance-for-35-mins bad. Gross... it was absolutely repulsive. So I immediately called in and told the manager that I would be late due to the unforeseen traffic accident. He was very understanding and told me not to worry a bit. So I was 30 mins late. HAHA. I thought I was screwed.

Then at their little waiting area, there were bunch metal puzzle sets. I played them at my uncle's house when I was traveling in China. They were a set of two pieces metal that were intertwined. You can't just force them apart. However, if you find the right angle you can easily separate them. Very smart design! So I saw these puzzles again and I started playing with them. That was exactly when the manager came out said "Nice to meet you this is Charly". "I AM A RETARD" yes that was the message that ran through my head. WHO THE FUCK PLAYS METAL PUZZLES AT AN INTERVIEW... Great start...dear god just shoot me.

Got into his office. Start chatting. We actually chatted about 10 mins before he even said anything regarding the interview. I guess that was likely to be good. Since he was the one doing the most talking and my short comments usually propelled him to talk even more. It turned out that he used to work for KPMG one of biggest four accounting firms in the world. He came from NY and adjusted to LA just fine. We talked briefly about friends family, night life, commute, and life decisions. The conversation went smooth and remained interesting. Toward the end of this interesting introduction, I paused deliberately and he directed the subject to professional matter right away. Interview was smooth as well but toward the end I wasn't sure if he got the right message. What I was trying to say was that I have a very realistic expectation from small firms like theirs and I am willing to develop and learn skills here for long term plans. But what he got from me seemed to be I might move on if there is a better and bigger thing comes along. He said that he would not only understand but also encourage since that would be exactly the same choice he would make in that situation. Sigh I hope my explanation later really explained what I was trying to say.

The conversation lasted about 30 mins then I moved on to talk to the partner of the firm. The first thing he said "oh USC, I like that". Well I knew he would because from doing my homework I knew he was a fellow Trojan who won 3 NCAA swimming championships back in his days. He has a pair of deep, piercing, aqua blue eyes that seemed to constantly remind others of his glory days. They were so HAWT. I couldn't stop staring at those blue eyes. Well I guess at least I made fantastic eye contacts right? Conversation with him was smooth as well and every time I asked a question he would give comments like "that is a great question", "fantastic question", "I am glad that you asked." I guess it went good. BUT there were plenty mistakes were made. The aforementioned puzzle instance, the 30 mins tardy and I assume the second partner who has the same last name to be his sister and apparently she was his wife. STUPID....

So I talked to this hot boss for like another 45 mins and the interview was over. I really liked the company. The office wasn't big but it was new and well lit. You could see the nice and relaxing views of Santa Monica. The beach isn't too far, perfect for me to pick up surfing. I would get a teacher and all that stuff. Plus the manager is hot the boss is hot and the people who worked there sounded very young. I was intrigued. This was my first interview that sparked an interest for me. Now I really really really hope they can give me some good news next week. Fingers crossed.

Then I came home, got an invitation to a phone interview with a Hedge Fund company for an intern position. This is absolutely exciting as well. But instead of inviting me to a first around, they wanted to phone interview me so that means they probably just want to see if I am a clown or not before spending actual time with me. Sigh.

Well in the afternoon, I had another interview. I wont go into details of it. But in sum, it was horrendous and I don't want to work for them at all. I don't mean the company is crap; they probably make a lot of money. But the overall is just not my scene.

On a brighter note, I actually fulfilled my workout plan that I posted on Jay's Gym Tracker Calender. I gained 4 lbs. Yes absolutely devastating. Also, I couldn't lift or run as much. Plus there were another USC dude at the gym who had a such amazing body that everytime I looked I felt the urge to give him some oral relaxation. I am sure he noticed me staring VERY frequently. He didn't seem to mind or just ignored this homo. Whatever, good eye candy.

Anyways. I have been blahing about my interview for quite a while now. But what can I do, this is my life as I know for this moment. Freaking life. man...

No comments: