Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Gay cute

Cute used to be positive. It describes a person as adorable, good looking, nice personality etc. It is just a pleasant adjective all around.

But I think the gay cute is definitely something different nowadays. I have talked to several gay bloggers (not like I talk to any straight bloggers but being gay I think makes a difference here), they all revealed that they have called people cute as a way of being nice. What they really meant was you aren't good looking but not fucking ugly either. Cute became a intermediate standard between pretty and fucking ugly. In worse cases, some people call others cute to actually say that they are ugly but still have a good personality. So you know, if you are being called cute, you aren't hot, you aren't good looking, you are just kinda ugly with a big heart.

I have yet to see straight people making this transition in calling people cute. It is pretty exclusive to gay men atm. How vicious! Dear lord, please, people! don't call me cute. That is the worst "compliment" a gay man can get nowadays. I think little by little, cute will just become a very vague term used as a placeholder. Basically when you say cute you are saying that you withhold your opinion, which consequently mean that you think that person is ugly.

So sad....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute, for me, is describing a guy that is good looking but there is no sex appeal. You know, the boy next door kind of handsome.

I don't mind people calling me cute if its under those terms. I get uncomfortable when people call me hott. Because I know I am not that hott.

Lighten up a bit. You know you want to be cute.

Hamilton said...

i wasn't concerning this till i realised that more and more gays started to use "cute" as something so negative!! scary!!

mstpbound said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. so true...so true. :D

Phil said...

I think it really depends on a group in which the word is being used. The word cute doesn't get used to describe someone who is anything less than adorable in my group of friends. It's something I've never thought about though.

Crush is another word that gets thrown around a lot and has different meanings for different people.

Anonymous said...

LOL
haahahahaha what a funny post
i always thought that cute was define from the dictionary as interesting but ugly...so i base my idea of cute on that LOL
but i think that your first idea of cute is what i really think it is for me...now but once and a while i do think of the dictionary of cute when i see a ugly baby and have nothing to say but wanna be nice LOL is that mean? LOL
but in general i dont see cute as being a negative term
so your sooooo cute LOL ^^

J.R. said...

You are so cute, Hammy. Haha.

Hey, I don't use "cute" as a placeholder for ugly at all. I do agree it's a more vague terms though, and I use it variously. Usually, I mean it to describe a different kind of attractive from "hot" —— it doesn't necessarily mean less attractive, though. Sometimes, it depends on the mood I want to set; if I'm want to be more playful than sexy, "cute" is better than "hot" or whatever other more on-target words.

And I have actually never told a guy he's cute when I don't think he's attractive at all. I say nothing about it, or compliment something he does have going for him.

Nothing Golden Stays

Sh@ney said...

Hmmm I dont think I will call anyone cute again...But then I prefer to use handsome, it is more formal...*winks*