Friday, June 29, 2007

Brokeback lamb


One thing that we Chinese do really well is food. If we could, we would eat our way to world conquer. If it is possible, we would cook rocks and make them tasty. If the resource permits, we would make eating a celebrated natural sport. Well, actually that has already happened, lol. The freaking crazy food that I had was absolutely insane.

The restaurant we went serves some kind of delicacy from southwestern china and the main scheme is BBQ. It differs from American BBQ. What they do is to chop off an entire chunk of raw meat and roast it on an open fire. Basically they cook everything the way they make rotisserie chicken, but with a much stronger open flame and the finished product would inherit the quality of the wild animal and untamed flame. It is incredibly masculine and it feels raw and wild. It is very sensational and it makes my mind wander off to the highland deep in the southwestern region, dream about herding, humping, and eating like an animal. Lol, a bit brokeback mountain. Well, maybe that is why I like the food so much!! hahaha.

Because of our late arrival, we had to order the back section of a lamb. The more common leg and chest meat are gone. The waitress told us that the meat is manageable, basically small enough for three even though it means that we are pushing it a little bit for us. I thought pssh, whatever, I could eat 1.5 lb prime ribs I could eat the back of a lamb. I swear that it looked small on the picture too.

Was I wrong. The thing was carted out by the chef and the whole thing spread more than 2 feet wide. It looked like a B2 bomber model made by lamb meat. It was definitely a sight to behold. Apparently, this feast item was usually ordered by a party of six. The waitress tricked us!!! So they have a special little something for this item. Before we realized what exactly it was, a singing crew of 4 people came out of nowhere in traditional southwestern Chinese costume. Forget the girls, I mean they were cute, but the dudes, apparently they were southwestern natives. Their muscles were bulging out from their little white open chest leather vest. Their voice was thick and masculine. Even though the long lasted like only 1 minute, I was mesmerized. Anyways, the food was good but overwhelming. I mean for people who indulge lamb before, you should know that lamb fat tissue crystallize on the surface very fast and it becomes extremely greasy, so half way through, we were literally battling with this piece of meat, fighting a lost battle against the fat tissue and never ending meat and bones.

I don’t think I would ever eat this again, at least not in this fashion. It was good nevertheless and I wish that LA eatery could be a bit more daring in this direction.